Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Zambales 2011

Browsing on my friend’s blog site and seeing their photos gave me a bit of frustration for not giving an extra care to my Helena [hE.lei.nAh: a friend of mine, Lorie gave this name to my 50D]. The sensor of my camera has something on it making a hair-like image on my photos. I have no choice but to crop a portion of the picture even it would mean discarding a good perspective. It can be fixed though, by a software. Problem is, I don’t have one, and I don’t have the luxury of time. (reasons – LOLZ).

Month of November 2011 was my first long trip in the Northern part of the Philippines – Zambales! I considered it as my debriefing time ‘coz that was my few remaining days with my employer. Needless to mention the name of the company, but the term debriefing would just fit for the stressful workplace that I once had. It sounded like leaving a war from a hostile environment.

Anyway, let’s go back to my travel story. Early morning bus ride, from Manila, for more than four hours earned me an extra energy for the travel to unfamiliar destination. Like any other night travels, some bus passengers spent their time watching TV. But me, I was in a deep sleep. After a day of tiresome time-killing strides in MOA, I guess I deserved this rest. Barely four hours of sleeping seemed to be a power nap to me, but power-boost ended when we arrived at San Antonio, Zambales. The place was serene compared to my usual busy life back in Cebu city. Perhaps because it was still early in the morning.
We stopped in one of their bus stops, which happened to be just in front of the municipal hall. Few steps away from that government hall is their public market. There we took our breakfast. Eating local food/delicacy is one of the things that excites me when going to other places. Going to fastfoods (foodchains) is totally a NO-NO for me. I always believe that you can have a better understanding of the place when you’ll get to know their necessities, and food is one of these (obviously). I am not a food critique but the taste of the food told me how simple the lives of the locals are. The food tasted good! No strong tastes, not even spicy. It was simple but delicious. Well, not to mention, we paid less.

After completing our breakfast, we took a ride on a tricycle going to a fishermen village, Pundaquit Village, and there, our adventure started.
CAMARA ISLAND
This was the next stop after Pundaquit Village. It took us around 30-minute boat-ride to reach the island. Part of the island has a rock formation resembling an elephant (that’s how I saw it), and the another part is another rock formation. The two islands are connected by a sandbar. They will start to connect once the tide ebbs. This perhaps a good example if asked by a question - how many islands the Philippines is made of? Islands disappear, and re-appear on changing tides. 
Photo by: Bee Chavez
 But too bad, I was not able to take photos using my Helena because I was saving my shots to Nagsasa and Anawangin coves. Sounds like I was using a filmed-type camera. But the good thing was Lorie/Mike let me use their digital cam. I was able to take some shots of the place. I missed my digicam. Believe me, you cannot underestimate its usefulness even if you have a DSLR.

CAPONES ISLAND
Photo by: Bee Chavez
The island was so pristine as if we’re the first people to reach the place. One side of the island seems a fortress that blocks the great waves attempting to conquer the land. I think it’s a good place for extreme sports like wall climbing. Another side of the island is a long stretch of white-sand shore. It was a blessing in a tiresome disguise that we were able to walk the entire stretch of the shore. It happened when we were looking for Bee who searched for the light house. Lucky for her, she was able to reach it. And lucky for us too, we were able to reach the other side of the island. Roughly we walked more than 2 kilometers to search for what we thought was lost. At that point, I began to realize how freak’n freaks my friends are in terms of Photography. Hahhhahaha. (peace!).
Capones Light House. Photo by Bee Chavez
NAGSASA COVE
We reached the place past lunch time. FAMISHED was the exact picture I saw in everyone’s faces. The group seemed to have well coordinated efforts that we were able to finish cooking so fast. We were able to start exploring the area after our lunch. What is so unusual with this beach is that instead mangrove or coconut trees, pine trees covered the place. Just imagine white sand plus pine trees. We almost spent the afternoon ‘til sunset chillaxing and taking pictures. A well deserved rest from a long day of travel and fun.
It’s a plane. No! it’s a bird!” NO, it was Mike and his infamous snore. Despite of that, I still managed to get a good sleep. It didn’t bother me at all. Light’s off please.

We got up early on the next day. After taking our breakfast, we hiked almost 1.5 kilometers to reach one of my favorite spots of this entire travel, The Nagsasa Falls. The way going there was not easy but it was worth it! Casaroro Falls of Dumaguete was breathtakingly majestic, but Nagsasa Falls is simply amazing!

We left the falls and tried to trace back the track. For unknown reason, some of us (including myself) was separated to the rest of the group. I forgot if we were the one who left them, or the other way around. One thing for sure, one group was missing. Every path looked familiar, and every crossroads were confusing! At some crossroads, we unanimously agreed on what path to take. But there was one that the team has a different judgment. We argued over it. Some insisted on what their instinct was telling them. Others relied on the “looked-like”. Nevertheless, we made a decision. We followed the “looked-liked” path. But the funny thing was, we “looked-like” lost. HAHAHA. Oh yes, I have to admit, I was the one who pushed on the “looked-like” idea. We continued trekking the unfamiliar path, and finally reached the beach. The other beach adjacent to ours. It took us another 500-meter walk to finally reach it. Lesson learned: do not rely on anything else, except instinct, once lost. Hunger and/or thirst impaired your senses. Lolz!


ANAWANGIN COVE
This is the last stop of our Zambales travel. Unlike Nagsasa Cove, the place was jam-packed with people - campers, hikers and other adventurers. The place is known to be the trekkers’ camping site. I have heard that trekkers coming from Subic would cross the mountain to Anawangin and spend their night on this cove. It was my first time to see that big number of campers along the beach.
We arrived almost sunset. We were able to catch some photos of its beauty at the top of the mountain of the cove. I was able to exploit my Helena on that time. Changing perspective, recomposing different shots, and alter various shutter speeds. I was ecstatic after viewing some shots on my camera. It was so satisfying that I was able to capture exactly what I had in mind. I went down from the mountain and I learned from Lorie that Mike was still taking pictures at the top, and was alone. Worst part was, it was getting dark. And judging from the way going up, it was more dangerous going down. Worsen by the idea that Mike has no flashlight with him, we were extremely worried! I don’t have to tell more of what happened up there and how he managed to get down safely. The important thing is, he was OK. Again, I blame it all to freak’n photography. (hehehehe - peace)

We hit the tent, and fell asleep almost immediately.

Like most of our photo sessions, I failed to get a shot of morning sunrise. Nevertheless, I was able to experience the early morning breeze of place. Cool fog hovered over a shallow creek that divides the camping site and the forest. A must see for photographers. Not really that stunning site but there are some angles that do not appear as common. A wide-angled lens are highly recommended!
We spent the whole morning with our cameras. Exhausting our last battery powers, and card memories. We took our lunch, and packed up for our way back to the Manila. It was seemed a long travel from Nagsasa Cove to Pundaquit Village. It felt like I was not able to exploit the place with my camera. I guess even if I will return there several times, I would still have this feeling of discontentment. What can I say, the place is simply amazing. Indeed, it is more fun here in the Philippines.

November 2011

7 comments:

Bee Chavez said...

I plead guilty as one of the freak'n freaks and the first to commit a misadventure. All for the sake of that place I really wanted to see. I am thankful to those 3 who followed my tracks just to make sure I am ok.

Unknown said...

:) that was a worthwhile misadventure. That is the one of the reasons why I love to go back to Zambales. Missed the Lighthouse!

Brennan said...

"It’s a plane. No! it’s a bird!” NO, it was Mike and his infamous snore"

Some things just don't change indeed. :) Do send my regards to Mike and keep your posts coming! :)

mike said...

Haha. Meeen.. i can quote other lines from the blog, let alone this. Haha. Im sorry y'all had to go through that everytime we hit the bed in our travels. :P

Kuya rhands, allow me to commend u for ur sharp memory. There were details here i only recall when i read along but wud have forgotten had u not put them in writing. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Bren, I'm sure you miss that snore. ahehe.

Thank you Mike, good memories are hard to forget. Lingaw!

agent_paupau said...

Zambales is on my list!! Thanks for this post.. bookmarked!! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you agent_paupau!!! enjoy your trip and have safe travel. I can assure you that it will be one of the best destination here in the Philippines and I hope to read your blog after... cheers!